Friday, December 4, 2009

Maybe I should just throw in the towel

Obviously I know the saying, "you have to pick your battles". There are somethings that don't matter in the grand scheme of things. I recently picked, and lost, 2 battles that I thought were fairly important. This leaves me wondering, do I even pick any battles with Nina? She was blessed with a ginormously strong will and she has an equally strong determination to keep trying until she gets what she wants. Was I being too controlling with these two battles?

#1

It was like 6 degrees outside when we were trying to take Donovan and Howie to school. I had Nina dressed in pants, a long sleeved shirt, shoes and socks and a jacket. She told me she hated those clothes "so much", but I told her she had to wear them outside. I also told her she could change when we got back home, but that didn't seem to sit well with her. As I'm ushering the kids outside, I turn and find this:



Yeah, we didn't walk to school this time. Round one to Nina.

#2

Last night as I was putting Nina to bed she was complaining about how thirsty she was. I gave her a small drink of water and that held her over for maybe 2 minutes. Then I gave her a sippee cup to drink until I finished reading to the other kids. I went back, took the cup (which was almost gone) and put it away. She was not happy, but I closed the door and she eventually quieted down and fell asleep. However, at 4 in the morning, Matt woke up and noticed several lights on. He went downstairs and found this:



Who knows how long this door was open, could have been 5 hours or 5 minutes. Round 2 to Nina.

3 comments:

Jill said...

Wow. Gotta love Nina.

Did I ever tell you when she spent the night here I gave all the girls a yogurt, went upstairs for something and when I came back down she had smeared the whole thing on the wall? Classic Nina.

Janelle said...

can you prove it was her? I'm not sure she would ever do anything like that.

Brooke Soderholm (crazysodfam) said...

Janelle, I had the clothing fight with V for a couple months. Her age and outfits were very similar to Nina's. And her strong will as well. Give me a call if the clothing issue continues. It is rough after a while and somedays I just had to throw her in the car in her underwear. I brought clothes with us and knew she would get dressed in the car in her friends' driveway or whatever parking lot. SOoooo not fun!